As part of a business trip, today I drove onto Manhattan for the first time (have visited here 3 times in the past as a pedestrian). I entered through the Holland Tunnel, which was smooth coming in mid-afternoon. Like everything else in New York City, it looks exactly like the movies (think Men-in-Black and THAT button).
My main reason for coming through here was to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. I couldn’t convince the family to walk it when we were here a few weeks ago, so I took the opportunity today. It had been a drizzly day driving up from DC, but it cleared up and the sun shone on mid-town, emphasising the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.
The bridge has a special raised pedestrian walkway from City Hall across to Brooklyn. The view from the bridge is spectacular. It is an awe-inspiring structure considering it was built in the 1880s.
For me, it was one of those experiences where I couldn’t stop smiling as I took in the surroundings which felt familiar after our 4 days here at the beginning of the month.
My main reason for coming through here was to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. I couldn’t convince the family to walk it when we were here a few weeks ago, so I took the opportunity today. It had been a drizzly day driving up from DC, but it cleared up and the sun shone on mid-town, emphasising the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.
The bridge has a special raised pedestrian walkway from City Hall across to Brooklyn. The view from the bridge is spectacular. It is an awe-inspiring structure considering it was built in the 1880s.
For me, it was one of those experiences where I couldn’t stop smiling as I took in the surroundings which felt familiar after our 4 days here at the beginning of the month.
In the video below is a 360 pan from the center of the bridge, starting and finishing in the direction of Brooklyn.
Driving back across Manhattan and back through the Holland Tunnel took about an hour to travel the 4 miles!